A list of tips for using Hex Fiend.
- Click on the line number gutter to cycle between hexadecimal and decimal mode.
- Click on the status bar at the bottom to cycle between decimal, hexadecimal, and English (e.g. "500 megabytes").
- Control the number of bytes in each column with the "Byte Grouping" menu item in the Views menu.
- Toggle Overwrite mode in the Edit menu.
- Double click on the fields in the data inspector to edit the data as that type.
- The tab key switches between the ASCII and the hex views without changing the selection.
- The escape key closes the banner (e.g. Find and Replace).
- You can jump by an offset with Move Selection, or command-]
- You can jump TO an offset with the Jump to Offset, or command-L
- A negative value for Move Selection will move backwards by that amount.
- A negative value for Jump To goes to that offset from the end of the document. For example, Jump To -1 will position you before the last byte in the file
- Both Move Selection and Jump To allow SI suffixes as multipliers (e.g. you can type 10 KB to move by 10 kilobytes). Specifically:
It's case insensitive, and a trailing B ("bytes") is optional.